The idea of trendy work outfits may seem like a paradox, especially if you have a strict office dress code, but here’s how you can match on-trend pieces to your work outfits every day of the week!
How to Wear Trendy Work Outfits to the Office Every Day
Trendy Work Outfits To Try
Unless you work in the fashion industry or other creative industries, you probably don’t have many trendy work outfits in your wardrobe. But as a working girl myself, I think it’s a success whenever I strike that balance between trends and what’s acceptable to wear at the office.
Trust me, it’s an art for us working girls! Which is why I thought it would be an amazing idea to share all the different ways you can turn some of the hottest trends right now into polished, professional looks.
I’ve got one for every day of the week (and maybe even weekends!) so you won’t run out of inspiration.
1. Midi Skirts
You’d be surprised by how many trends are actually office-appropriate! Take a break from your classic pencil skirt and try a midi skirt with your silk blouses and black pumps—it’s the perfect recipe for trendy work outfits.
What is a midi skirt? A midi skirt is a skirt that ends mid-calf or at the midpoint of the ankle and knees.
Midi skirts are a great alternative to your generic office attire because they’re fun and comfortable, but they still offer the right amount of coverage. Here’s how you can style your favorite midi skirt for work:
- Throw on a blazer – If your midi skirt feels too casual, you can still use it for work as long as you balance it out with the other parts of your outfit. Throwing on a blazer is an easy way to professionalize any look—you may even be able to sneak in a t-shirt or graphic tee!
- Keep things simple up top – If you’re going with a flowy midi skirt, keep your top simple. Pair it with a neutral blouse or sweater.
- Experiment with wrap midi skirts – Flowy or pencil midi skirts are more common, but the wrap midi skirt can add an interesting dimension to your silhouette. Pair it with a collared button-down shirt to make it office-appropriate.
Incorporating midi skirts in your office wardrobe will make it much easier to dress up for work!
Who doesn’t love a good jumpsuit? On any other non-work day, a good jumpsuit is an instant outfit by itself!
Most people think that jumpsuits are too casual or far too dressy for daytime. Not necessarily, though.
Here are a few ways to style your jumpsuit so you can wear it work:
- Incorporate classic office elements – Pick a jumpsuit that comes in neutral colors like black, beige, and navy, or prints like pinstripes. Try to avoid jumpsuits with big and bold patterns.
- Add layers – Layering a jumpsuit over a blouse makes it more conservative and dress code-friendly as well! If you want to add even more layers, you can also throw on a blazer.
- Use a belt – Putting on a belt is a great way to break up the jumpsuit. This visual trick works so well, some people won’t even be able to tell that you’re wearing a jumpsuit.
You can totally rock a jumpsuit at work and once you clock out, you can easily dress it down for play.
3. Sweater Dresses
Most sweater dresses are either oversized or not polished enough to be considered workwear. But all you need to do for trendy work outfits is to find sweater dresses that are more structured or boxy, and stick to solid colors.
Here are a few more tips to help you rock the sweater dress at work:
- Consider the fabric – Maybe skip the cable knit this time! Stick to sleeker fabrics like cashmere or cotton blends.
- Belt it up – If your sweater dress is loose, a skinny belt can highlight your waist and create a more work-appropriate silhouette.
- Pick the right shoes – Throw on some knee-high boots to complete your look. Tall boots add a touch of elegance to an otherwise relaxed look.
So don’t leave your sweater dresses out of your work wardrobe. You totally can be comfortable, trendy, and professional at the same time!
4. Mixed Prints
When it comes to workwear, we usually think boring or basic. But trendy work outfits are just what you need to challenge that stereotype!
Be adventurous with your choice of colors and prints, even if you’re wearing a classic pencil skirt and a cotton tee. Here are a few mixed prints tips to help you plan your next office outfit:
- For mixed print noobies – If you’re hesitant to go all the way with mixed prints, you can start by pairing mixed prints with neutrals. So if you want to rock printed blouses, you can pair them with neutral and solid bottoms to balance it out.
- For mixed print experimenters – To go all the way with mixed prints, make sure there’s a unifying element in your outfit (like color).
- For mixed print experts – Consider the density of the pattern. You can try matching pieces with bigger patterns to pieces with smaller ones.
Prints are definitely on trend and it also an opportunity to showcase some of your personality at work. All you need is a little confidence!
5. Blush Pink
Color is another way to achieve trendy work outfits. When you’re shopping for office looks, keep your eye out for blouses, tops, and bottoms in trendy and non-neutral colors like pink.
Here are a few ways you can add a little pink to your work wardrobe:
- Match pink pieces with dark neutrals. For example, if you’re rocking a pink dress, throw on a black cardigan to balance it out.
- If you’re new to pink, you can opt for softer shades of pink like coral.
- Dress up neutral work clothes with pink accessories like scarves or belts.
- If you want to go all the way, all-pink women’s suits are so chic!
We all need more pink in our work wardrobes, if you ask me.
With something as eye-catching as ruffles, you don’t need to think too much about your other pieces. Your go-to pair of cigarette pants, black loafers, and a dependable black purse make a ruffled top look polished and chic.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect ruffle pieces for work:
- Choose a fabric with a little more structure so the ruffles won’t look like overly wrinkled clothes.
- Stick with solid and neutral colors. Ruffles are already pretty loud, so you can tone it down a bit by choosing a ruffle piece in neutral colors.
- Don’t limit ruffles to your tops. You can find some subtle ruffling details in your pants and skirts too.
So if you want to shake things up a bit, ruffles are a great way to add a little magic to your work outfit.
7. Classic Blue
Speaking of on-trend colors, classic blue pieces can also finish off your trendy work outfits. After all, it’s this year’s Pantone color.
I’m already rocking classic blue at work, and I love this timeless shade!
Tip: Classic blue is, well, a classic and it’s already a staple for workwear. If you want to make your outfit more interesting and stylish, try to look for pieces that use unconventional fabric or print.
Watch this video by Best Dressed for more trendy outfits you can wear to work:
My rule of thumb for trendy work outfits is: balance fashion-forward pieces with workwear staples. If you’re wearing prints, get them in classic silhouettes. If you’re experimenting with cuts and embellishments like ruffles, keep the rest of your colors basic. Putting together trendy work outfits will be a breeze as long as you keep this in mind.
Have you tried any of these trendy work outfit ideas? How did it go? Share your experience with us in the comments section.
- 11 Wear To Work Dresses For Busy Women | Cute Professional Outfits
- 10 Sexy Outfits You Can Definitely Wear To Work
- The Cutest 90s Fashion Trends That Are Still Adorable These Days
Want more fashion tips like these trendy work outfits? Check out these wardrobe must-haves!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on October 15, 2019, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.