Be a travel pro by learning the best secrets on how to pack light and less. These practical, easy-to-do tips will make your travel a breeze!
How To Pack A Suitcase Or Backpack In 6 Easy Ways
Traveling is a must in every bucket list. It enriches your soul, lets you live a life without regrets, and gives you a different or new perspective about things, or it’s a great way to show off your OOTDs! Of course, it’s super fun until you start dragging a heavy suitcase. Save yourself from the hassle! Travel like a pro by learning how to pack lightly and efficiently beginning with these 6 smart tips:
1. Appreciate the Ziploc
Ziploc bags are not just for storing make-ahead meals or leftover dinners. They’re your best friends at traveling too. You can use them to organize almost A-N-Y-T-H-I-NG! From chargers to travel documents, food, medicines, toys for the kids, as well as your daily OOTDs, you can count on this kitchen essential.
Tip on how to pack: Bring your packing skills to a new level with resealable plastic bags! Group together your cute outfits to wear each day, pack them together, and label the plastic bags. It will save you a lot of time.
2. Pick your outfits well
You want to know the secret on how to pack a backpack or a suitcase? Then be smart with your contents a.k.a. your cute outfits! But how do you do that? I’ve got plenty of packing tips right here:
- Know the weather of your destination.
- Mix and match. Think about the many combinations you can have with just a pair of distressed jeans and a T-shirt! Complete the look with high heels and you’ll look chic. With a cap and sneakers, you’ll be preppy and casual.
- Plan your OOTD.
- Remember your purpose for traveling. If you’re on a business trip, then you need to pack a suit or a cocktail dress.
- Determine whether there are clothing restrictions. This is especially true if you’re traveling to the Middle East or visiting temples in Asia.
- Pick the clothes you can wear over and over. Do you know you can wear jeans at least three times in a single week?
- IMPORTANT: Create a packing checklist to make sure you’ve got all your essentials covered.
3. Choose your bag wisely
When you want to pack light, your bag of choice matters. Here are ways on how to pick the right one for you:
- A smart-saving travel tip is to prefer carry-ons than a big suitcase. You can forget about paying hefty luggage fees and queuing in the claiming area.
- Since airlines weigh your bag and, again, you must avoid paying the luggage fees, pick a bag that’s light. How do you know? Determine your free baggage allowance (if you have one) and weigh your luggage minus the contents. Outfits normally increase the weight by about 5 kilos, so do the math.
- Buy convertible bags. Today there are duffel bags that can become backpacks.
- Another tip on how to pack: buy a bag with multiple compartments.
- Get a bag that your airline will approve. Know the dimensions of their preferred carry-on.
- When you have to pack a suit or a dress, look for luggage with provisions for a hanger. Or just learn how to pack or fold a suit (or a blazer).
4. Invest in a small bag that matches most of your outfits
Don’t forget to bring a small bag! After all, you don’t expect to sightsee along with your luggage. Inside you can put your purse, guides, travel makeup, sunnies or scarves (or shawls), and perhaps an extra tee or top if you want to change but don’t want to go back to your place.
I like a tote that goes well with most of my outfits or a faux leather backpack, which is stylish and less likely to get your contents wet when it’s raining.
5. Bring no more than two pairs of shoes
One of the hardest travel items to pack is shoes. They can take up so much space! You may not get to leave them behind, but you can get smart with them by following this tip: bring no more than two shoes with you, which means you pack only one shoe in your luggage or backpack (since you’re already wearing one!).
Tip on how to pack: Bring shoes that match your travel needs and are flexible. For example, you can wear boots for hiking and a casual meet-up with friends in the evening. Always go for lighter options too like loafers or foldable shoes. Lastly, make the most of the space inside the shoe. Insert underwear and socks.
6. Learn how to fold
When you have limited space, you need to be more efficient with your packing skills. For casual items, roll instead of folding them.
Who else can give you more tips on how to pack light than the cabin crew! Get more travel and packing ideas in this video by Heathrow Airport:
Are you ready to travel like a pro now? These tips on how to pack will teach you how to be more efficient when you’re on the road, especially if you’re traveling alone. Don’t forget to visit Cute Outfits often or subscribe for more travel and packing ideas.
Do you find these ideas on how to pack helpful? What are your tips? Comment below. Want to score cheap tickets the next time you fly? Then read one of our favorite travel hacks!
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.