A messy hair bun or updo is usually a go-to hairstyle for a second-day hair. But, this bun updo is something for most women.
To say chic and cute is an understatement. All we know is wearing a messy bun hairstyle makes a difference in one’s whole look.
If you are looking for ways to upgrade your easy messy bun, here are some tutorials to help you.
In this article:
Wear It High, Wear It Low, These Are the Messy Buns for You
How to Do a Messy Bun with Long Hair
1. Simple Boho Updo Bun
Ladies love boho updo buns. Its casual chic look is timeless, and this hairstyle is perfect for all seasons.
Tip: This type of bun looks the best for curly hair. If you have straight hair, then curl it first using your curling wand. The texture is also vital for this messy bun.
What You Need:
- Bobby pins
- Clear elastics bands
- Morrocan Oil Dry Texture Spray
- Spritz your hair with Morrocan Oil Texture Spray.
- Leave some hair out in the front before splitting it into two sections.
- Once done separating your hair into equal two sections, take the bottom section:
- Make a little bun using a clear elastic but do not pull all the hair all the way through. Leave the tail part to fluff out.
- Take the remainder of the hair (the one that fluffs out) and tuck it up into the clear elastic.
- Add bobby pins to secure the top part.
- Let down the top half section, and do the same thing as the bottom part.
- Add bobby pins to the loose ends to put them into place.
- For the hair that you leave out in the front (or bangs), twist it and fluff it out a little bit before you bobby pin it towards the back of your head.
- For the finish, spritz again with the Morrocan Oil Texture Spray.
2. High Bunhttps://www.instagram.com/p/B-XTcBGAJJL/
A high bun is ideal and easy for those with straight long (not super long) hair but a lifesaver for ladies with super curly hair. Since this look is flattering, most brides love this hairstyle.
Tip: This style works best if the hair is not recently washed (two days after washing).
What You Need:
- Bobby pins
- Sturdy elastics bands
- Backcomb your hair from the bottom to top.
- Gather your hair up to make a high ponytail.
- Secure the elastic and tighten your ponytail.
- Spritz some hairspray all over the hair.
- Smoothen the back part with a fine-tooth comb.
- Twist the hair and then turn it around the base of the ponytail.
- Once the base has been fully wrapped around the base, secure with bobby pins.
3. Half Messy Bun for Long Hair
Half buns are great for all types of hair. Curly, straight, fine, wavy hair, this is just the go-to hairstyle. You can see Hailey Bieber, Kendall Jenner, Selena Gomez, or Gigi Hadid rocking the look.
Tip: There are two ways to part a half-bun. First, you can part it from your temple, and the other one, you can part it above your ear. For a messier look, use a dry shampoo.
What You Need:
- Bobby pins
- 2 clear elastics bands
- VO 5 Dry Shampoo
- Teasing comb
- Curling iron
- Section out your hair into small parts before spraying it with your favorite dry shampoo.
- Spray the dry shampoo from the roots to the tip (or you can stop at the mid part).
- Wait for the dry shampoo to soak in.
- Section the top of your hair (either from the temple or from above the ear).
- Grab some hair for your bun and tie it into a ponytail.
- Take a tiny piece from the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic. Secure with a bobby pin.
- For the rest of your tail, take a teasing comb and tease the base of the ponytail to give some volume in it.
- Make a bun from the tail using another clear elastic, but do not pull it all the way through, leave some tail.
- Spritz some spray to keep the bun in place.
- You may curl the loose hair from the back.
4. Braided Space Buns
@hairby_chrissyDouble buns 🤩 ##foryoupage ##hair ##goodbye2019 ##hairstyle ##fyp ##foryou ##hairtutorial ##hairvid ##braids ##tutorial ##bun♬ Fantasy – Alina Baraz / Galimatias
Two add some styles to your space buns, you can braid the top part instead of simply parting it all the way through. Follow the high bun steps when making this style.
Trivia: Also known as a double bun, this hairstyle has been popularized by Sailormoon, a Japanese anime and manga series.
How to Do a Messy Bun with Short Hair
5. Easy Messy Bun
For this bun, the steps are similar to half messy bun. The only difference is you do not have to tease the ponytail. Just twist and turn it, then wrap it around the base of the ponytail. That’s it.
6. Low Messy Bunhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BtJw9y5nKxC/
Updo and buns are a struggle for really short hair. But we’re not saying it can’t be done. See how this look is pulled off?
You simply do the same procedure, but instead of making a high ponytail. Just grab the hair, twist, and make a low bun.
Tip: You can do a simple braid on the sides to keep all the hair together, then make a little low bun. You can accessorize these with floral beads or Swarovski hairclip.
7. Two Low Side Buns
@hairby_chrissyBehind the scenes of Chrissy’s double bun YouTube video🎥##makeitawesome ##foryou ##hairstyle ##hait♬ Midnight City – M83
This bun is another way of styling your space buns. This hairstyle works well when you have short or medium hair.
Trivia: Have you visited the TikTok app lately and notice how some users are sporting a messy hair bun? There are already 3.3M views for #messybuns alone.
We all know there’s something about this hairstyle. Messy as it is, but it makes you look appealing, fashionable, and more put together. How can any woman resist that?
Do you have some cracking messy bun style that you want to share with us? Let us know in the comment section below.
- 11 Cool And Chic Outfits To Wear With Your Fave Sneakers
- The Best Hairstyles for Zodiac Signs
- 15 Easy Ways To Perfect Your #OOTD Selfie Poses
Whether you’re a self-proclaimed fashionista or just have a passion for fashion, we are looking for you!