When you look totally gorgeous, don’t you just want to share it with the world? Here are easy ways to help you in perfecting those selfie poses!
In this article:
- Invest in the Right Gadget/s
- Use Photography Accessories
- Find the Best Lighting
- Find Your Best and Worst Angle
- Work Your Best Side
- Experiment with Landscape/Portrait Selfies
- Pay Attention to Your Body Posture
- Strike a Pose
- Avoid Shadows and Reflections
- Crop the Photo to Fill the Space
- Add a Touch of Movement
- Choose a Breathtaking Background
- Mind Your #OOTD
- Choose the Not-So-Obvious Reflection
- Play with Different Filters
15 Easy Ways to Perfect Your #OOTD Selfie Poses
Perfecting Your OOTD for the Best Selfie
Every day, you take the time to carefully choose your outfit, get dressed, and show the world (or at least your friends and family) your well-styled outfit. If you don’t really care, then you would just resort to wearing the same old jeans and tee or wear your comfiest pajamas.
And if you happen to achieve that fashionable look that makes you feel confident, chances are you would like to share your selfie poses with your Instagram friends. We make a good point, right?
Wearing the right outfit is one thing. Taking a photo of yourself actually wearing it is another.
Unless you have an actual photographer taking your #OOTD (Outfit Of The Day, just in case you are wondering) snap, the picture you will take can look a bit subpar as you awkwardly try to fit yourself in your cellphone’s frame. Let me share with you that it can actually be easier to take the perfect outfit selfie pose all by yourself.
Scroll down to make your Instagram selfie poses better this week.
1. Invest in the Right Gadget/s
To take beautiful Instagram photos, you need the correct gadget! If taking selfies was considered an art, you can consider your gadget as your paintbrush.
So your camera must also be perfect for taking selfies! It’ll be really challenging to take a nice photo if you’re using a low-quality camera.
Most people find it convenient to use the cameras built-in their phones. If you’re looking to upgrade your smartphone, here are the specs you need to pay attention to:
- Lens quality of front and main cameras – Most phones will go all out on their main camera but do very little to enhance the front camera quality. Back cameras are great for capturing your entire outfit, but a front camera might be easier to use when you want to capture the finer details.
- Low-light photography capabilities – In an ideal world, you’ll always have the best natural light for your OOTDs, but this may not always be the case. Sometimes, you whip out your best OOTDs at night, so make sure your phone can capture your gorgeousness even when it’s dark out.
- Instant portrait photography mode – This is a nifty little trick that can make your smartphone photo look like it was taken by a professional photographer. The portrait mode adds depth to your photo by automatically blurring the background and making you stand out.
If you really want to up your selfie game, you can also try using a digital mirrorless camera or digital single-lens reflex camera (DLSR). Many of these cameras have built-in BlueTooth capabilities, so you can easily transfer your high-resolution selfies to your smartphone for posting.
2. Use Photography Accessories
After investing in a good smartphone or camera, you can look into photography accessories that’ll make it even easier to shoot your OOTDs. Here are some must-haves:
- Selfie stick – This is for taking wide-angle pictures and getting that beautiful background in the shot.
- Pocket tripod – A tripod gives your phone or camera with more stability and allows it to be freestanding. With a tripod, no one has to hold the camera, so you can finally have both hands in your OOTD shot!
- Attachable spotlights – Most smartphones don’t have great flash capabilities. So an external and attachable light can help enhance your studio or nighttime photos.
- Power bank – Using your smartphone’s camera can drain it’s battery pretty quickly. Equip yourself with a power bank so you won’t have to settle for an imperfect photo just because you’ve run out of juice.
The right photography accessory can spell the difference between a good photo and a great photo, so choose wisely. The perfect selfie depends on it!
3. Find the Best Lighting
Lighting is important for so many reasons! It brightens and brings attention to the highlights of your face.
It should not be too bright and not too harsh. A perfect balance will give your selfie pose shot a whole different ambiance.
Most photographers prefer natural light over artificial ones. There’s just something about sunlight that makes you look more radiant.
Tip: Want to get that magical photo? Try taking it during sunrise and sunset hours—these are called golden hours by the pros for a good reason.
4. Find Your Best and Worst Angle
Every person has their best and worst camera angle. It is all about experimenting with those angles.
The shape of your face is also a variable to this. Some angles work best with a heart-shaped face but oftentimes not on square-shaped faces.
It may feel silly, but a great way to find your angle is to take multiple close-up shots of your face tilted in different angles. Don’t forget to try out different smiles and pouts too!
Your smile or pout can subtly change the shape of your face, and that can change your best camera angle too. So it is important to get to know your face and find your most flattering angle.
5. Work Your Best Side
Once you have found your angle, it’s time to study the proportion of your face and see which side has the most favorable features. Vanessa Hudgens has a well-proportioned face and we can see it on her selfies, but she seems to slightly incline her head to the right giving more emphasis to her left side.
So experiment with the angles and study your face in order to know which is your best side.
6. Experiment with Landscape/Portrait Selfies
You can work your angles in any way you want but some people look better in landscape pictures than on portrait ones.
What is a landscape picture? When a camera is positioned horizontally, it takes landscape photos.
What is a portrait picture? When a camera is positioned vertically, it takes portrait photos.
A portrait picture usually focuses on you, while a landscape photo takes in the background as well. Sometimes, your OOTD is enhanced by the setting you’re in.
So even if you generally appear smaller and farther in a landscape photo, it may add an important contextual quality that can make your photo look more interesting. Remember, an OOTD doesn’t just showcase your outfit, but it should also tell a story.
Ultimately, it all depends on your desired effect. Don’t be afraid to experiment to figure out which one will work for you.
7. Pay Attention to Your Body Posture
Even in selfies, a beautiful posture can guarantee you an elegant-looking selfie. Hold your neck like a swan, with your chin slightly up and your shoulders rolled back.
Remember, your body posture speaks volumes about your confidence. You could be wearing the trendiest outfit, but it won’t work if you aren’t confident in it.
Confidence and elegance are key to getting a classy and timeless selfie. So work it, girlfriend!
8. Strike a Pose
When you are going for a mirror selfie, it is best to strike a pose that elongates your figure and shows off your best asset. The objective of mirror selfies is to show off your cute outfit to Instagrammers, so try out different selfie poses and see which one works best for you and your #OOTD!!
9. Avoid Shadows and Reflections
No one would want to take a picture in front of the glaring sun.
The lighting is too harsh and it casts the shadow on you. In the selfie world, that’s a big no-no!
Adjust the angle and don’t face the sun. It’s amazing what a little movement to the side can do to your selfie game.
10. Crop the Photo to Fill the Space
Crop the photo so you fill most of the space and to make yourself look taller. Make sure there is no extra room between your feet or the top of your head at the edges of the photo.
11. Add a Touch of Movement
Don’t stick to just a standing pose. It will turn out boring if you keep on doing it.
To make your selfie pose photo more interesting, add movement to your photo. You may even want to play with your phone’s live photo capabilities to make it more fun!
Tip: Don’t limit your photos to OOTDs. This is the time to take a snap of your #BOTD (Bag Of The Day) or #Shoefie (Shoe Selfie) or even your #LOTD (Lipstick Of The Day).
12. Choose a Breathtaking Background
When taking selfie poses, it is not all about your #OOTD or showing off your fresh makeup. You must also consider your background.
A crisp and clean background makes your photo stand out from the rest. Photos that are taken in a scenic place or matchy background always turn out perfect.
13. Mind Your #OOTD
Since it will be a #OOTD selfie pose, you also have to bear in mind your outfit. Colors, shapes, and proportions shape a great outfit.
14. Choose the Not-So-Obvious Reflection
When we take mirror shots, we tend to opt for the obvious: a straight-on whole body picture. Try capturing your style on a reflective surface other than your bedroom full-length.
Play with dressing-room mirrors that bend or curve, multiple surfaces that make you into multiples, or even on a car’s side mirror. Be creative.
15. Play with Different Filters
Instagram has 23 fun filters to choose from. But apart from Instagram, some phones also have built-in filters in their camera or photo app.
Filters are an easy way to enhance photos without using complicated photo editing software. Some influencers go through phases where all the photos they post use one filter because it streamlines the look and mood of their Instagram feed.
Depending on the filter you use, you can make the image look more dramatic, cool, or subtle. Bonus: using filters is also a great way to salvage a photo that doesn’t have good lighting.
Get more selfie tips in this video from Huda Beauty:
Have fun! Your Instagram or other social media account is being viewed because of a unique profile owner, so don’t forget to go out and play up your own personality.
What do you think of these Easy Ways to take #OOTD selfie poses? Will you consider any when you’re taking your next pic? Share your #OOTD selfie pose in the Comment box below and be sure to follow us on Facebook. We want to see how our cute outfitters take their #OOTD selfie poses.
Here at Cute Outfits, we want to be able to help you in your journey to becoming chic. We want to inspire women to bring out the fashion icon in them so check these posts and be inspired!
- 11 Korean Fashion Trends to Steal | Cute Outfits
- Trendy Work Outfits | 7 Picks For Fashion-Forward Working Girls
- 11 Female Fashion Icons of All Time
Editor’s Note: This post has been updated for quality and relevancy.